Sunday, August 21, 2005

Widget - Sanwa ADR-41U2M128


I just got myself a Sanwa ADR-41U2M128 memory card reader with built-in 128MB flash. It’s in cool white, sturdy design, though somewhat wider than most other flash drives.

It can read MiniSD, Sony’s Memory Stick Duo, and Pro Duo. I got it for just ¥4,000, though the listed price is ¥6,279 (w/o tax ¥5,980). I also got a small leather strap for it at a ¥100 shop for, yeah you guessed it, ¥100.

Tech specs:
Interface: USB 1.1 / 2.0
Dimensions: L32 x W60 × H10.8mm
Weight: Approximately 18g

Power consumption:
Active: 146mA (MAX)
Standby: 103mA (MAX)

Heat Emission:
Active: 0 C°~45 C°
Standby: 20 C°~ 70 C°

This thing is very versatile since it’s not just a card reader, but also a flash drive. When you run out of space on the drive, just insert a memory card and write away. The memory slot is on the left side, just in case you were wondering. The memory is inserted perpendicularly.

I currently haven’t tested the maximum capacity of memory cards this baby can handle, though presumably, there is no limit.

It may sometimes be difficult to use this particular model because of its width. I've had several instances on several laptops wherein there is really no way of fitting this in properly because of the position of the other components. The problem also arises on some compact dektop models.

Also, 128MB is a little bit too tight. I was thinking of upgrading the memory myself by desoldering the memory IC and putting in a new one from another flash disk. 1GB ought to be enough. I’m just not sure though if this is possible. The memory controller may not be able to handle it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home